Margaret Myrtle Kappert

Franz Karl Kappert and Charlotte Schaeffer
Margaret Myrtle Kappert
+ John Patrick Hurley, Jr.
Janet Patricia Hurley
Terrence Hurley

Known to most people as Myrtle, Margaret Myrtle Kappert was born at home, on April 30, 1907, on Summer Lea Avenue in Washington, PA, to Franz Carl Kappert and Charlotte Schaeffer. She was baptized at Immaculate Conception Church in Washington. During the birthing procedure, her shoulder was dislocated.

She attended St. Georges School in Allentown, PA.

Myrtle married John Patrick Hurley, Jr. on September 3, 1928, at St. Georges in the Allentown suburb of Pittsburgh and they had two children, Janet Patricia and Terrence. They lived for a time in Pittsburgh, and then in Martins Ferry, OH. While living in Pittsburgh, she worked once summer at the main office of the Nufer Cedar Company where her father, Franz, was a manager.

Myrtle's husband, John, died suddenly in 1942 after which she moved back to Pittsburgh with her children.

During some summers in Pittsburgh, after her daughters grandchildren were born, they would spend several weeks staying with her and she would frequently visit them, as well.

On February 6, 1965, she married Alex Ferrero and they lived in Youngstown, OH, though she shuttled back and forth to Pittsburgh to care for her mother Charlotte. She stayed in Youngstown after Alex died in 1968. Sometime after 1970, she met and married William Lake Jones and eventually moved to a retirement community in Jamesburg, NJ, where she continued to live after his death in 1984.

Throughout her life, she was an avid bridge player, even playing opposite Goren at one time.

Myrtle was diagnosed with cancer in 1994, and remained in her home as long as possible before moving to a hospice. The beginnings of this family tree were captured by her grandson, William Francis Schmitt, while sitting at the foot of her bed with a laptop computer, a task which she enjoyed immensely. Her friends would occasionally pick her up for "day trips" to play bridge, and eventually came to play with her in her room. She died at the hospice on April 7, 1995.

Related Families Contact: Bill Schmitt